TERERE PAKORAS



TERERE  PAKORAS



Jambo! It has been more than 5 years since I blogged. Yes it has been truly very long and I have been definitely thinking of getting started all over again. Travel, hobbies, profession, lead me to different paths yet my passion is on. There are at times you need a break and I felt this time that I should start it. Well my inspiration....did I mention? My first born who insisted that I should get started an do a lot of upgrading in my work and I am gonna do it. A son's wish is paramount for a mom and here I am.....













Winter is here and in the evenings you feel like having something crunchy and healthy to go with your Chai. I am blessed with fresh supply of Terere greens right at my door step. Today I thought of replicating a snack from my home town in which we use the same ingredients but usually with locally available greens. It turned out to be really crunchy and we all loved having it with our Chai. It's very easy and quick to make with simple ingredients we have in our kitchen for day to day use. You should try too!!!








































Ingredients:

Cleaned and finely chopped Terere greens- 3 cups
Gram/ Ganthia flour- 2 cups
Onion- 1 large (finely chopped)
Turmeric powder- 1 tspn
Chilli powder- 1 tspn(optional)
Cumin seeds/ Jeera seeds- 1 tspn(optional)Water- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 cups(to fry)



Method:


1. Clean, drain the excess water and finely chop the Terere greens. Place in a bowl of a size that would allow you to blend all the ingredients uniformly.


                                 
Terere Greens

 





2. Add Gram flour followed by chopped onion to the greens.





3. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds and salt to the greens.








4.  Heat the oil in the frying pan.









5.Now sprinkle the water little by little and blend all the ingredients gently (make sure you don't prepare the dough and leave it to rest for a while as the greens might leave water which would make the pakoras very oily)




6. When all is set drop the mixture in dollops in the oil. Fry until golden brown and serve with Chai.





Comments

  1. Welcome back! This looks great. I had to look up Terere as I thought it was the traditional Matè herb, but Wikipedia tells me its a form of Amaranth. I'll see if I can get any amaranth from the seller here, alternatively I'll try spinach or another green and see what happens :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely try with other greens too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts