This is a very simple and a quick side dish from South India. In fact my Mother-in-law's recipe. This dish is for the people who are so fussy about eating "drumsticks". The potatoes really help you to finish the drumsticks. Here in Kenya drumsticks are really tender and people prefer it that way. Some Kenyans chew and swallow the tender drumsticks for the good fibre intake.
|Drumstick and potato side dish|
Drumsticks- 1 cup(chopped to 3 inch long and cooked)
Potato- 1 cup(diced and cooked)
Mustard seeds- 1 tspn
Cumin seeds- 1 tspn
Onion- 1 tbspn(finely chopped)
Tomato- 1 large(finely chopped)
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tbspn
Turmeric powder- 1 tspn
Asafoetida- a pinch
Chilly powder- 1 tspn
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Fresh grated coconut- 1 tbspn(to garnish)
Oil- 1 tbspn
Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in the pan,add the mustard seeds and allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
2. Now add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, onion.
3. When the onion turns brown add the tomatoes.
4. Add the cooked drumsticks, potatoes, turmeric powder, chilly powder, asafoetida, salt when the tomatoes turn soft.
5. Mix all the ingredients uniformly, garnish with grated coconut and serve.