|Swahili fish curry|
Tilapia fillets- 800 gms
Oil- for frying the fillets
For marinating:Turmeric powder- 1tspn
Chilly powder- 1tspn
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tspn
Lemon juice- 1 tspn
Salt to taste
For the curry:
Chopped onion- 2 tbspns
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tbspn
Tamarind puree- 1 tbspn
Coriander powder/ curry powder- 1 tbspn
Cooking oil- 1 tbspn
Ground coconut/ coconut milk- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tspn
Chilly powder- 1 tspn
Garam masala- 1 tbspn
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro leaves- 1 tbspn(to garnish)
1. Cut the fish fillets into medium sized pieces and marinate with the spices for 30 minutes and keep aside. Pan fry the Tilapia pieces under low fire.
|Tilapia fillets cut into pieces|
|Marinating with the spices|
2. Heat the oil in the pan and add the ginger- garlic paste followed by onions.
3. When the onions turn brown add the tomatoes followed by turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt.
4. Under low fire close the pan for 2 minutes and let the tomatoes soften.
5. Now add the tamarind puree and add the coconut paste. Mix all the ingredients uniformly.
6. At this point add the cooked Tilapia to the prepared curry and reduce the fire.
7. Let the fish get cooked for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook as the fish pieces would break and get mixed in the curry.
8. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with hot rice.