White Bengal gram- 2 cups(tinned chickpeas or soaked and cooked)
Turmeric powder- 1 tspn
Asafoetida- a pinch
Oil- 1 tbspn
Chopped cilantro leaves- to garnish
Lemon juice- 1 tspn
Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbspn
Salt to taste
Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
Chopped ripe tomatoes- 3
Cinnamon stick- 2 medium sized
Cardamom- 1 pod
Garam masala- 1 tspn
Green chillies- 2(optional)
1. Heat the oil in the pan and add the ginger-garlic paste.
2. Add the ground paste now and keep stirring until you could see the oil coming on top.
3. Add the turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida and give a gentle stir.
4. Close the pan and let the masala blend well and cook with the chickpeas for 10 minutes.
5. Switch off the fire and add the cilantro leaves and the lemon juice and serve with rice, roti or chapati.