Mandazi- an ordinary Kenyans daily breakfast. Everyday starts for a Kenyan with mandazi and a cup of chai(tea in swahili). It is very easy to prepare and always comes in handy whenever I am lazy to prepare something for snacks for kids. Mandazi is usually prepared with flour, sugar, milk and yeast. when it is prepared with coconut milk instead of milk it is called"Mahamri". Sometimes it is prepared with baking powder instead of yeast and fried in oil.
This time I have tried to prepare it with the chocolate flavour and it tasted very well. Just like chocolate cookie.
All purpose flour- 2 cups
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Milk- 3/4 cup
Cocoa powder- 6 tbspn
Baking powder- 3 tspn
Oil- 2 tbspn
Oil to fry- 500 ml
1. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder twice with a sieve.
2. Add the sugar, 2 tbspn oil and start preparing the dough by adding the milk little by little.
3. Once the dough is done allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes roll the dough on to a flat surface and cut it to triangles of 1/2 inch thickness. You can also try to make it more interesting by preparing different shapes with a cookie cutter.
5. Heat the oil and fry the dough until done.
6. Drain on paper towels.
7. Serve with tea or coffee.